IntroIn some martial art schools, an oath is recited at beginning of class. An oath is a solemn appeal, or a formally affirmed statement or promise accepted as an equivalent of an appeal, to a deity or to some revered person or thing, to show sincere support for a cause or endeavor.
Sample oathAs a martial art practitioner, I will:
- Observe the tenets of my art.
- Seek to fulfill the true meaning of my art.
- Never misuse my art's techniques.
- Be a champion of freedom and justice. Build a more peaceful world.
- Work toward increasing the science, sport, and way of my art.
- Increase the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of my life to develop a firm, unshakable spirit.
- Observe the rules of courtesy, respect my instructors and superiors, and refrain from violence.
- Follow my God, cultivate a spirit of self-denial, and never forget the true virtue of humility.
- Help my teammates achieve each of the above.
Oath used by Taekwondo America
- I shall observe the tenets of taekwondo.
- I shall respect instructors and seniors.
- I shall never misuse taekwondo.
- I will be a champion of freedom and justice.
- I will build a more peaceful world.