Waiver of liability
IntroMost martial art schools require a student to sign a waiver of liability and hold harmless agreement before they may participate in training. This includes any potential student that wants to sample a class before joining the school. This is standard procedure, but you should still read the waiver carefully before signing.
Important sections are in red text.
Sample waiver of liability1. In consideration for participation in this school’s training, competition, and other valuable consideration, I hereby release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue this school its officers, servants, agents, and employees (hereinafter referred to as releasee) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or to any property belonging to me, whether caused by the negligence of the releasee, or otherwise, while participating in such activity, or while in, on or upon the premises where the activity is being conducted or in transportation to and from said premises.
2. To the best of my knowledge, I can fully participate in this activity. I am fully aware of common risks and hazards connected with the activity as follows, including but not limited to: bruises, scratches, bloody lips/noses, torn ligaments, broken bones, dislocation of joints, contact dermatitis, and other contact related skin conditions, and I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in said activity, and to enter the above-named premises and engage in such activity knowing that the activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risks of loss, property damage or personal injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage to property owned by me, as a result of being engaged in such an activity, whether caused by the negligence of releasee or otherwise.
3. I further hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the releasee from any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney’s fees, that may incur due to my participation in said activity, whether caused by negligence of releasee or otherwise. (Note: This part of this agreement may not be legal. To my knowledge, an entity cannot release itself from negligence by a waiver of liability.)
4. It is my express intent that this Release and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind the members of my family and spouse (if any), if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am not alive, and shall be deemed as a release, waiver, discharge and covenant not to sue the above named releasee.
5. I further agree to become familiar with the rules and regulations of the school and program concerning student conduct and not to violate said rules of any directive or instruction made by the person or persons in of said activity and that I will further assume the complete risk of any activity done in violation of any rule or directive or instruction.
6. This Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of this state. in signing this release, I acknowledge and represent that i have read the foregoing waiver of liability and hold harmless agreement, understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made; and I execute this Release for full, adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.