The term TKDTutor is used interchangeably to refer to either the website itself or to the author of the website. This article introduces you to TKDTutor, the author of the website.
- Master of Science (MS): Criminal Justice, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- Master of Arts (MA): Management/Public Administration, Webster University.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA): Social Sciences, Chapman University.
- Associate of Arts (AA): Administration of Justice, Los Angeles City College.
- North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training
- Nevada Police Officer Standard Training
- Master-at-Arms School (U.S. Navy)
- Criminal investigations (U.S. Navy)
- Leadership Management Training (U.S. Navy)
- Command Training Team (U.S. Navy)
- PR-24 Police Baton Instructor Certification (U.S. Navy)
- U.S. Customs for Military Customs Inspector (U.S. Navy)
- Hostage negotiations (U.S. Army)
- Combating terrorism on military installations (U.S. Army)
- Self Defense Tactics (NCIS)
- Air Smuggling Course (DEA)
- Firearms Instructor (FBI)
- CPR Certification
MACM(SW), United States Navy (Retired)
The title means I was a Master-at-Arms Master Chief Petty Officer (Surface Warfare).
- MA: means I am a Master-at-Arms, the traditional job rating name for navy law enforcement.
- CM: means I am a Master Chief Petty Officer, more commonly known as just Master Chief, the navy equivalent of the E-9 pay grade, the highest military enlisted pay grade.
- SW: indicates I earned the Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist designation.
Navy jobs and duty stations
I worked in the electronics field (job title of electronics technician radar, ETR) for eight years at Naval Air Station Chase Field, Beeville, Texas, and at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland. Then I converted to the law enforcement field (job title of master-at-arms, MA) and worked in law enforcement for the next 18 years until retirement.
I served as:
- Patrol watch commander. Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland,.
- Chief criminal investigator. Naval Air Station Fallon, Nevada.
- Chief of police. USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7), a helicopter aircraft carrier, Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia
- Chief of police. USS Bainbridge (CGN-25), a nuclear cruiser, Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.
- Senior Enlisted Advisor (SEA). Enlisted personnel advisor to the commander of the Navy Law Enforcement Academy, Naval Technical Training Detachment, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
- Assistant Security Officer/Brig Warden and SEA of Legal Department. USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), a nuclear aircraft carrier, Naval Air Station Alameda, California.
Medals and awards
- Surface Warfare Specialist
- Navy Commendation Medal (2 Awards)
- Navy Achievement Medal (2 Awards)
- Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon
- Meritorious Unit Commendation Ribbon
- Navy Battle "E" Ribbon
- Good Conduct Medal (6 Awards)
- Navy Expeditionary Medal
- National Defense Medal (2 Awards)
- Southwest Asia Service Medal with Bronze Star
- Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (4 Awards)
- Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon
- Expert Rifleman Medal
- Expert Pistol Shot Medal
- 1st-degree black belt and certified instructor, United States Judo Association (USJA)
- 1st-degree black belt and certified instructor, American Taekwondo Association (ATA) (the original organization, not the present Songahm organization)
- 3rd-degree black belt and senior certified instructor, Taekwondo America (TA)
MARTIAL ARTS HISTORY
- First entered the martial arts in 1968 when I began training in judo with Mr. Thomas Mayerchak "Mr. Judo" in the Nito Judo Club in Winston-Salem, NC, affiliated with United States Judo Federation, now the United States Judo Association (USJA).
- Trained in shorei-ryu karate with Mr. Drdyk at the North Carolina School of Self-Defense in Winston-Salem, NC, affiliated with United States Karate Association and Master Robert Trias.
- Trained in taekwondo with Master Ko at the Ko Karate Institute in Chicago, IL.
- Trained in judo with Master Byung Dae Suh at the Great Lakes Judo Club in Great Lakes, IL., affiliated with the Armed Forces Judo Association, now the United States Judo Association. Trained with O'Sensei Phil Porter, Master Phyllis Harper, and Master Ryozo Nakamura.
- Trained in seishin-kai karate in Glynco, GA.
- Head judo instructor at Chase Dojo (a United States Judo Association (USJA) Bronze Star club over 100 members) in Beeville, Texas. In 1972, the club was the 9th largest judo club in the USJA. Trained with Master Rene Pomerelle.
- Taught taekwondo at Bee Community College (now Coastal Bend College) in Beeville, Texas.
- Established and taught at a taekwondo club in Glynco, GA.
- Established and taught at Toraki Taekwondo Studio in Keflavik, Iceland (the first taekwondo dojang in Iceland).
- Took over and taught Keflavik Judo Club in Keflavik, Iceland.
- Taught police tactics course for Keflavik, Iceland branch of Los Angeles City College.
- Established and taught at Fallon Taekwondo Club, Fallon, NV.
- Taught judo at Western Nevada Community College, Fallon, NV.
- Taught taekwondo at Naval Shipyard, Philadelphia, PA.
- Trained in judo at Lackland Judo Club, San Antonio, TX.
- Certified instructor on the PR-24 Police Baton (like a tonfa) at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX.
- Taught taekwondo at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX.
- Accumulated a 300-volume martial arts library.
- Trained in taekwondo at Dong's Taekwondo International, Kernersville, NC.
- Trained in uechi-ryu karate, Charlotte, NC.
- Resumed training as a taekwondo white belt in United States Taekwondo Alliance (USTA) in 1998 at Michael Deese's Taekwondo Plus. In 2000, the USTA became the International Taekwondo Alliance (ITA) and later Tiger-Rock Martial Arts International.
- 3rd-degree black belt in taekwondo and senior certified instructor, Taekwondo America (TA), 2003.
- After over 50 years of training and teaching martial arts, my participation is now limited by degenerative disk disease in my spine