IntroSmall punctuation changes can change the meaning of a sentence.
- Consider the sentence: Woman without her man is a savage.
- A woman may write: Woman: Without her, man is a savage.
- A man may write: Woman, without her man, is a savage.
- A headline writer may write: WOMAN WITHOUT: her man is a savage.
- A man named Herman may write: Woman, without Herman, is a savage.
Punctuation in pattern performanceJust as small punctuation can change the meaning of the sentence, small motions, facial expressions, speed changes, etc. (either intentional or unintentional) can change the meaning of a pattern and its intent. Be careful, what one person considers aesthetic in a pattern, another person may consider a flaw. If you add your distinctive touch to a pattern, be careful not to change the pattern’s movements or its intended meaning.
Don’t’ punctuate a pattern incorrectly. Don’t over punctuate a pattern. If you don’t know what you are doing, or if you don’t know if it is allowed, then don’t do it.