Notes about stance descriptions
IntroSome of the terms used in the stance descriptions.
Guard positionAll stances are performed with the hands and arms held in a basic guard position:
- The hands are held in fists held just below cheekbones.
- The palms are held toward the face.
- The forearms are held almost vertical.
- The elbows are held close together.
All stances are shown as left stances (left foot forward) unless otherwise indicated.
Stance width. The width of a stance is the side distance between the feet.
Stance depth. The depth of a stance is how far the front foot is in front of the rear foot.
- Black lines form an imaginary square on the floor with sides equal to one and a half shoulder-widths.
- Pale blue lines are imaginary lines on the floor that are half a shoulder-width apart.
- Dark blue footprints show the foot positions on the floor.
- Red dot shows the position of the body's center of mass relative to the position of the feet.